The vision for the Observatory is to be a continental repository for Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) statistics and a source of policy analysis in support of evidence based policy making in Africa.
The mission of the Observatory is to champion evidence-based science, technology and innovation policy-making by backstopping African countries to manage and use statistical information in accordance with the African charter of statistics.
- Enable African countries to discover their STI capabilities and direct such capabilities to solve pressing economic, social, environmental and other development challenges;
- Strengthen national capacities for STI policy formulation, implementation, evaluation and review;
- Improve the quality and dynamism of African NISs and related STI policies;
- Provide to African decision-makers up-to-date information on global scientific and technological trends in order to enable them to effectively engage in policy-making on STI issues;
- Strengthen national capacities for technology prospecting, acquisition or procurement;
- Reinforce regional and international STI cooperation.